Busy Morning Breakfast Ideas
With the holiday season quickly approaching, it feels like there are not enough hours in the day. If you are one of the many who lets breakfast fall by the wayside when time is of the essence, then this article is for you. Many people skip breakfast because they feel like they don’t have enough time in the morning or because they are trying to lose weight. However, it’s important to eat breakfast. Eating breakfast helps with brain function, concentration, memory, irritability and tiredness.
Skipping breakfast to shed a few pounds may be detrimental to your weight-loss goals. Beginning your day with a balanced meal will make you less likely to overeat later in the day. A balanced breakfast contains a combination of protein, fat and carbohydrates. This key combo will provide you with energy to power through until lunch time.
Whether you want to lose weight or simply do not having enough time, here are some simple breakfast ideas to start your day off on the right foot.
• Yogurt parfait: layer Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a bit of granola.
• Overnight oats: combine old fashion oats with milk, nuts, fruit and honey. Throw this in a mason jar and put it in the fridge at night and you’ll have a grab and go breakfast waiting for you in the morning. See recipe.
• Waffle PB taco: Toast a whole-grain frozen waffle, spread some peanut butter on it, top it with banana slices, fold and go.
• Mason jar omelet: put eggs, a splash of milk, some baby spinach and shredded cheese in a mason jar and shake it up. In the morning put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir and put back in for an additional 10 seconds.
• Super smoothie: pack Greek yogurt, frozen berries, spinach and some milk in a blender, blend and go. Meal prep your smoothies by bagging up the ingredients and storing the bags in the freezer. See recipe.
Bottom line: Give your body the energy it needs on busy days with a balanced, quick and simple breakfast.
Written by: Laura Dutra, Wellness Workdays Dietetic Intern